Aldrich Law Firm, Ltd.
Aldrich Law Firm, Ltd.

Call us toll free at
877-508-0433Good People Deserve Good Lawyers. ®

Call us toll free at
Good People Deserve Good Lawyers. ®

How do I appeal a judgment or order in Nevada?

Once a court has issued a judgment, you typically have the ability to appeal it. In Nevada, a judgment that has been entered in a justice court will be appealed to the district court, and a judgment entered in district court will go to the Nevada Supreme Court for appeal.

As the Nevada Rules of Appellate Procedure points out, not every judgment is eligible for appeal. Once you determine that your case qualifies, you must file the notice of appeal within the appropriate time frame. A judgment that was entered in justice court must be appealed within 20 days, and a judgment entered in district court must be appealed within 30 days.

To get started, you must do the following: 

  •        File a notice of appeal with the clerk of court where the judgment was entered.
  •        Post bond, unless you have been otherwise exempted from doing so.
  •        Serve the notice of appeal to either the opposing party or that party’s attorney.
  •        File a statement of evidence or order a transcript.
  •        Either wait for instructions from the district court or file a brief to the Nevada Supreme Court.

You might also want to try to stay the execution of a judgment. For example, if you have been sued for child support and the judge ordered that your wages be garnished, you may be able to stop the garnishment by filing a stay of execution.

It is important to note that you are not able to introduce new evidence in an appeal. The court reviewing the case will simply review the details that were presented to the initial court. If Nevada law does not permit you to file an appeal to your case, there may still be other avenues you can take. It is best to speak to a professional about what your options are if you disagree with the outcome of your case.

While this information may be useful, it should not be taken as legal advice.

John P. Aldrich
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
FindLaw Network