Aldrich Law Firm, Ltd.
Aldrich Law Firm, Ltd.

Call us toll free at
877-508-0433Good People Deserve Good Lawyers. ®

Call us toll free at
Good People Deserve Good Lawyers. ®

Know when to file a motion for a new trial in Nevada

Fighting a hard battle in court only to reach an unfavorable decision can be devastating. However, as our attorneys at the Aldrich Law Firm, Ltd., know, you still have options after that initial ruling. In fact, we find that discussing post-trial options can give you the hope and confidence necessary to continue the fight. In Nevada, there are many options at your disposal, such as requesting a new trial.

A new trial is exactly what it sounds like: it is essentially a “do-over.” In an appeal, your case would go to a higher court, and you cannot introduce new evidence. However, in a new trial, you will be able to bring new facts to court to further support your case.

Under the Nevada Rules of Civil Procedure, you must file a motion for a new trial within 10 days of receiving written notice of the judgment. The law does not set specific guidelines for what may constitute granting your request. However, there are some common situations that could lead to a new trial, such as the following: 

  •        You secure new evidence.
  •        There was either jury or prosecutorial misconduct.
  •        There was a judicial error.
  •        Someone committed perjury.

You should be aware that motions for new trials are not common, though they can be successful when you file them under the proper guidance. Our attorneys know how to navigate the legal system following an unfavorable ruling, whether that means appealing the decision, requesting a new trial or requesting to amend the judgment.

For more information on this topic, please visit our page on filling appeals.

John P. Aldrich
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
FindLaw Network