Aldrich Law Firm, Ltd.
Aldrich Law Firm, Ltd.

Call us toll free at
877-508-0433Good People Deserve Good Lawyers. ®

Call us toll free at
Good People Deserve Good Lawyers. ®

Which civil decisions in Nevada may be appealed?

It may come as a surprise to you to learn that not every civil determination is eligible for the appeals process. According to the Nevada Rules of Appellate Procedure, the following are examples of what may be appealed: 

  •        A final judgment that started in the same court where the judgment was rendered
  •        An order granting or disallowing a motion for a new trial, an injunction or an attachment
  •        An order appointing or refusing to appoint a receiver
  •        An order that deals with the location of a trial if the notice of appeal is filed within 30 days
  •        An interlocutory judgment in an action for partition concerning the interests of the parties

The law also states that you can appeal a special order that has been entered following a final judgment. However, that order must not have granted a motion to set aside a default judgment if that motion was both filed and served within 60 days of after the default judgment was entered.

Further, simply because you are able to appeal a decision does not mean that it is necessarily the correct choice. An appeal simply asks the court to review the decision; you are not able to introduce new information. If you have new evidence that supports your claim, taking a route other than an appeal may be the best course of action for you.

If you do choose an appeal, keep in mind that there is a tight timeframe in which you must give notice. If your case was handled in a justice court, you typically have 20 days to file the appeal. If the district court entered your judgment, you may have only 30 days.

While this information may be useful, it should not be taken as legal advice.

John P. Aldrich
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
FindLaw Network