Aldrich Law Firm, Ltd.
Aldrich Law Firm, Ltd.

Call us toll free at
877-508-0433Good People Deserve Good Lawyers. ®

Call us toll free at
Good People Deserve Good Lawyers. ®

How to avoid distracted driving

Distracted driving is a major problem in Nevada and nationwide. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 3,166 Americans were killed by distracted drivers in 2017. In order to reduce the risk of distracted driving accidents, traffic safety experts recommend that drivers follow several safety tips.

Texting and driving causes thousands of distracted driving car crashes each year. To avoid this, drivers should never use their cellphone while operating a vehicle. Instead, they should place their phone in “Do Not Disturb” mode and pull over in a safe location when they need to text, browse social media or make phones calls. It is also important for drivers to avoid eating food while driving. Opening food packaging, eating and trying to prevent spills while behind the wheel can be very distracting and lead to collisions with pedestrians or other vehicles.

Drivers should also remember to never drive while drowsy. The National Sleep Foundation found that sleep deprivation can impair a driver as much as alcohol consumption can, which can lead to serious car crashes. Drivers who are yawning frequently, have heavy eyelids, have trouble concentrating or have difficulty staying in their lane should pull over as soon as possible and get some rest. Finally, drivers should try to limit the number of passengers they have in their vehicle to avoid extra distractions from conversations and noise. This is especially true of teenagers and other inexperienced drivers.

Victims of car accidents might need assistance obtaining compensation for medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, property loss and other related damages. A personal injury attorney may review a victim’s case and work to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company. If litigation is necessary, legal counsel might prepare a lawsuit and file it in civil court.

John P. Aldrich
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
FindLaw Network